Standing Firm in Grace: Elders and the Flock of God
Scripture: 1 Peter 5:1–5:5
1 Peter: Standing firm in grace
Elders and the flock of God
1 Peter 5:1-5
Elders are to care for God’s church eagerly as humble examples
1) Elders follow Christ in enduring suffering as the way to final future glory, 5:1.
2) Elders are to shepherd God’s church, overseeing not grudgingly but freely for God, 5:2a.
“Shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you...”
Acts 20:28. Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for (shepherd) the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.
3) Elders are to shepherd God’s church, overseeing not greedily but eagerly, 5:2b.
“Shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight…not for shameful gain, but eagerly.”
4) Elders are to shepherd God’s church, overseeing not as overlords but as examples, 5:3.
“Shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight…not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock.”
5) Elders will receive a glorious reward when Christ the chief Shepherd appears, 5:4.
6) Younger ones in particular should submit to the elders, 5:5a.
“Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders.”
7) Show humility to one another for God opposes the proud but graces the humble, 5:5b.
“Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for ‘God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.’”