God With Us in His Mission
November 23, 2014 Speaker: Gary Series: God Meant it for Good: a study of Joseph's life
Scripture: Genesis 46–47
God meant it for good: a study in the life of Joseph
God with us in His mission
Jesus promises that he is always with us in his mission
1) God promises to go with his people Israel down into Egypt, 46:1-4.
Why do you think God appears to Jacob and promises to go down with him into Egypt? How will God fulfill His promise to bring Jacob up again from Egypt?
2) All seventy of Jacob’s family members go into Egypt, 46:5-27.
3) Jacob and Joseph are reunited, 46:28-30.
4) Pharaoh gives Israel access to the best of the land of Egypt, 46:31-47:6.
5) Jacob blesses Pharaoh, 47:7-10.
6) Joseph gives Israel a possession in Egypt and sufficient food, 47:11-12.
7) Joseph saves the lives of the Egyptians, 47:13-26.
8) Israel is fruitful and multiplies in the land of Egypt, 44:27.
How does this verse point to God’s providence in carrying out His “mission” for Israel?
9) Jacob asks Joseph to bury him in the Promised Land when he dies, 47:28-31.
Why is Jacob so adamant about being buried with his ancestors in Canaan when he dies?
Reflect and comment on these concluding thoughts from this passage:
- God accomplishes salvation for His people by sending Himself to be with them. Matt. 1:23, John 1:14.
- Jesus is with his people in his mission, (Matt. 28:20). Can God use your crisis to strengthen you in Jesus, to draw people to Jesus, to grow people in Jesus?
- As Christians we are “elect exiles,” “chosen sojourners,” according to Peter in 1:1. We live in “Egypt” that is this world. We even may enjoy some of the good things, the “best of the land of Egypt.” But this world is not our home. We suffer and face hardships. As Peter says (1:3, 4), God has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you.” “In this you rejoice…though you have been grieved by various trials.
- The normal Christian life is God being with us in the midst of trials and sufferings, working all things for the good of our becoming like Christ. Romans 8:28–29
More in God Meant it for Good: a study of Joseph's life
November 30, 2014God meant it for good
November 16, 2014God can use evil for good
November 9, 2014Stepping into Redemption