Living in Line with the Gospel
Topic: Gospel for Life Scripture: Galatians 2:11–2:21
Gospel for Life: A Study in Galatians
Living in line with the gospel
We live for God knowing we are sinners who are justified by faith in Christ alone
Review of 1:6-2:10:
Paul expresses shock that the Galatians are turning to a “different gospel”. The gospel is that we are saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. Some have infiltrated the Galatian churches with a distorted gospel. He says that anyone who distorts the gospel deserves condemnation by God. Paul testifies he received the gospel by direct revelation from Jesus Christ. Paul was sold out to Judaism and persecuted the church until He met the risen Christ. Paul didn’t consult with other apostles for three years, then briefly meets Peter and James. Paul kept preaching the gospel in Gentile regions for the next eleven years. Then Paul goes to Jerusalem and to present his gospel to James, Peter and John. This was not because he is unsure if he’s right, but to confirm they are united. Some false Christians try to get the apostles to force Gentile Titus to be circumcised. Paul and other apostles don’t yield in order to preserve the gospel for Gentiles. The other apostles affirm unity in the gospel with Paul, and his mission to the Gentiles.
1) We don’t live in line with the gospel when we don’t accept other Christians 2:11-14.
2) Regardless of background, we are justified by faith in Christ not works 2:15-16.
3) Being justified in Christ by admitting being a sinner doesn’t mean He promotes sin 2:17.
4) Returning to the law to be right with God instead proves one to be a sinner 2:18.
5) To live for God, we must turn from the law as a way to be made right with God 2:19.
6) We live by faith in God’s Son who died for us, as we died with Him and He lives in us 2:20.
7) If right standing with God comes through law-keeping, Christ died for no purpose 2:21.
The gospel is that we are gifted a right standing before God by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.